If you ask anybody what plumbing fixture is? His reply will be a faucet. Anyway, that would be my retort too prior to detailed research about this article.
In reality, plumbing fixtures are any device that interacts with water and is connected to the plumbing system.
To diagnose your plumbing fixtures you need to know about them first. This will help you to execute further measures.
Common Plumbing Fixtures:
Some common plumbing fixtures are:
These are major household plumbing system which is supplying of water and later drain it.
A machine that regulates and controls water or any liquid by opening or closing and giving route is known as a valve.
A valve is installed on all water supplies in normal house plumbing. It helps in stopping water supply whenever there is leakage or any damage. To maintain fixtures clean them and watch leaks if any.
A bathtub is a large container that is filled with hot or cold water that allows a person to sink in for bathing and relaxing. Nowadays acrylic and fiberglass bathtubs are well-liked as it looks trendy but is a little pricey. Normally they are made of enamel cast iron, steel or waterproof wood, these are durable and budgeted. There are several types of bathtubs in the market. However, the common bathtubs are:
- Whirlpool tubs: Whirlpool tubs are equipped with nozzles that use air or water for relaxation. They are bigger in size and are attached to the wall.
- Western-style bathtubs: These are widely used bathtubs. They are long and thin which allows bather to immerse completely. Plumbing is hidden inside the wall and they have cabinets too.
- Eastern style bathtubs: Shorter and deeper. A person can sit or stand while bathing.
- Clawfoot tub: The antique ones are made of cast iron. Currently, modern materials like acrylic are used for the job. It holds more water and is attached to the wall.
Generally, people do not pay attention to bathtub cleaning. But being the center point of the bathroom it should be maintained. A nonabrasive cleaner should be used with water and a soft cloth.
By regular cleaning lifetime of the product can be increased. However, with time fittings and fixtures may get damaged that could not be detected as it is within the wall.
How to carry out an inspection of bathtubs and showers?
- Seal tile twice a year to stop any mildew growth.
- Check loose and damage grout. Repair it as soon as possible.
- If your shower or bathtub has doors seal them too.
- Check walls if it is soft and moisture appears in them. It is an indication that any pipe or faucet is leaky.
- Check to ceil below your bathroom for leakage.
Bowl-shaped plumbing fixtures used to wash hands, utensils or small things are sinking. Also known as basin it is found in several homes. Every sink is equipped with a faucet, pipe and a drain. There are many types of sinks. Like:
- Self Rimming Sinks: These are drop-in sinks that dig a hole in your kitchen counter to get fixed. These are traditional one often found in materials like porcelain, enameled cast iron, steel, and vitreous china. They are the commonest sink amongst all as the fit easily. Even it requires less cleaning and maintenance.
- Above Counter Sinks: Sink sits on the countertop. It allows the sink to be differently designed as there is no bondage that it is to be fitted on the edge. Before purchasing a vessel sink it is advised to measure the height before installing a faucet.
- Bottom Mount Sinks: These sinks are mounted below the counter to give a sleek and neat look to the kitchen.
- Pedestal Sinks: They are typically used in bathrooms as it takes little space. They are easy to clean and maintain.
- Wall mounted sinks: Similar to pedestal sinks they also require less space. It is good for the bathroom’s which is less used.
- Apron Sink (Farmhouse): This sink is designed for rough and sturdy use. If anyone wants an authentic looking sink they can go for ceramic, white or clay model. They are also available in copper and steel.
- Bar Sinks: They are convenient and available in diverse size, shapes, and metal. It is inexpensive and highly appreciated.
- Utility Basin: They are found in laundry or garages. They are deep basins used for cleaning, mopping, and chores. The strainer is a must so that waste does not enter drainage pipes.
A toilet is the most important plumbing fixture. It uses a septic tank or community wastage system to flush out the waste. They are sturdy and reliable. Clogging is the general problem that occurs in this plumbing.
To maintain toilet, clean them and do not flush cotton pads, hair, diapers, wet wipes or any solid things. Flush properly and replace the wear and tear immediately.
One way to check leakage is to drop food or watercolor in your toilet tank. If it does not get clear and shows up for fifteen minutes, you have a leak. Flush it immediately else it will stain your toilet.
A shower can be fixed alone or may be a part of a bathtub. A shower uses the pressure of a standard system to drive water to wash head to toe. Since the 19th century, this system hasn’t changed. However, they are made efficient with time. A resourceful head shower can save water up to 40 percent.
Many plumbing fixtures have drains. Unwanted waste and dirty water flows through the pipe and finally draw off in the sewage system. Drains are protected with a strainer so that hairs, soap, tissues or debris do not enter drain pipe as it leads to clogging.
For this, each pipe, faucet, sink, shower, and the tub has to be checked. If drainage is slower than it is clogged somewhere.
A dripping faucet is the most common problem in every household. It an essential plumbing valve used to control water flow. They are available in various shapes and sizes. Solid brass faucets are highly durable and value for money product. Before mounting any faucet its size, shape, and dimensions have to be checked thoroughly. An inch can cause leakage and damage to your plumbing system. Hence calling a proficient plumber is the best solution.
Hope this article helped you in getting related information. If you have any queries write to us in the comment box below.